Crackle mediums are often unpredictable and you can not expect the same results every time – so expect the unexpected! Small objects such as frames will turn out well when the entire surface is treated. Larger pieces of furniture appear more natural if you select specific areas for crackling – such as along the edges or in corners.
Autentico’s crackling mediums are water based and odour free acrylic lacquers. Be sure to clean your brushes in water immediately after using the products.
Autentico Crackle Glaze
Autentico Crackle Glaze is used to give an aged appearance to furniture, frames, pots and much more. It is a one-step product used to create a crackle effect and is used in between two layers of Autentico Vintage chalk paint. The underlying coat of paint will show thorough in the cracks. It is ideal for both smaller items or on parts of larger pieces and furniture. Autentico Crackle Glaze results in a more powerful and lively appearance than the Craquelure.
How to use
- Apply a base coat of Autentico Vintage chalk paint in the colour of your choice and leave to dry for at least 30 minutes or until completely dry. This is the colour that will then appear in the cracks.
- Apply a thin layer of Autentico Crackle Glaze for finer cracks and less crackling or a thicker layer for a stronger effect with more and wider cracks. Allow to dry for an hour or until completely dry.
- Finally, apply a top coat of Autentico Vintage chalk paint in a different colour. All brush strokes need to be in the same direction and avoid painting the same area twice. Ensure you have enough paint on the brush to make one long brush stroke across the surface. Over painting or painting in many directions will result in limited and smaller cracks.
- The crackling will begin to show when the paint starts to dry. To speed up the process you can use a hair dryer
Craquelure is mainly used for smaller objects, and can be very useful together with decoupage. It can also be used for furniture or for a more discreet crackling. Autentico Craquelure is a two-step crackling system (two bottles of medium) used on top of Autentico Vintage chalk paint. It creates fine, porcelain like crackles on the surface that can be highlighted with coloured waxes.
- Apply two coats of Autentico Vintage chalk paint and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Apply one even coat of Craquelure step 1 (brush strokes can be smoothed out with a softener brush). Craquelure is opaque and milky in colour, but will dry clear within 15 – 45 minutes, depending on room temperature and humidity. Even after it has dried it can be a little sticky to the touch.
- Apply Craquelure step 2 and allow to dry again for 15 – 45 minutes. During the drying process tiny little cracks will appear. To speed up the process you can use a hair dryer.
- Once completely dry, you can highlight the area using an Autentico dark or light wax.
If you paint over a previously crackled surface it will most likely cause the paint to crackle again.
To remove the crackle effect you need to sand the area to remove the crackled surface and apply two coats of Autentico Primer before re-painting.